Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Stiffed By the IRS?

Harumph. I received my tax rebate today (a whopping 2-3 weeks early!). However, it was only $500, not the $600 I expected.

No, I wasn't one of those "high earners" last year. (I wish.)

Really, I think I know what happened. I recently realized that I neglected to report the income from a stock sale (some of the last few shares from the hi-tech job). I haven't had a chance to call my tax preparer yet. Since financial companies report payouts and all that, I'm suspecting the amount I was dinged was the taxes I (very honestly) forgot to pay, and I think $100 is about what it should be.

Still though: yay for the money! Now, I just have to decide what to do.

Buy more pretty beads for my necklaces? Pay down debt? Rebuilding the emergency fund?

No comments: