Saturday, July 26, 2008

Shopping and A Potential New Client

So, today I went on my long-awaited shopping spree, and for once, I actually found things I wanted when I had cash (literally) in my pocket. It felt great. I finally bought a new pair of black shoes (hurrah!), and several other things I've been wanting/needing.

Also, I went to exchange the shirt I bought on vacation last week (it had a snag), and when I took it back to the store and exchanged it, I got over $7 back. Apparently, it had gone on sale and I was entitled to the partial refund. Hurrah, again!

I still have cash leftover, though I haven't counted it out. I may do some thrift shopping tomorrow, so I'm going to keep it on hand. Just in case. Otherwise, I'm going to put it in the Closet Stash, and save it for a rainy day. Though, that closet stash is fairly healthy and not tapped very often, so I may just snowflake the money, instead.

How does going shopping relate to a potential new client, you ask? Well. While I was trying on a shirt, my mother started talking with a sales clerk at the store. I come out and join the conversation, and it comes out that I'm a freelance Technical Writer. Apparently the clerk's husband is a software developer or programmer, and has some documentation that he "thinks" he can write well, but it sounds like he knows he needs a Tech Writer. After explaining some of my experience, I gave the clerk my contact information and she's supposed to pass it on to her husband. It would be incredible if it actually turned into a contract -- especially since it's just the type of contract I like: get in, do the work, get out, pre-determined fee and timeline.

This so perfectly goes back to my post on the value of being chatty. You never know when you might meet someone that is looking for what you do.

This meeting also drove home my need for business cards and a better business presence. I hated to admit to my lack of business cards and then having to write my contact information down on the back of an envelope for the clerk...

All in all, it was a good day (though my mother got tired out from all the walking we did). I got to spend some of the bounty of my earnings from last month and from my tax rebate check, and I potentially have a new client.

No comments: