Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Casualty of the Economy

I know I've been absent for several weeks now. I was very, very busy with my primary client, and I was thankful for that.

Yesterday, it all changed.

In a pre-emptive strike against their budget, they laid off several people and I was included in that. It hurts. I am (obviously) their top pick for a technical writer, and they have said they will call me when they can. My VP even told me "I really don't know how we're going to do the documentation without you" and that was nice. One of my big projects is simply on hold now, and the other one is going to be handled by a couple people in the office.

I'm glad, though, that I was so hesitant to pay off my debt (I now have more money in cash savings than I have in debt). If I had done that, I would have barely enough cash to cover the next 1.5 months. As it is now, I have my three month emergency fund, in addition to cash that could last me another two months or so. I am very glad I won't have to tap my credit card to get through this.

It is unlikely I'll be underemployed for too long. I have a website to finish, and more of those will probably be forthcoming, so I will have some income. In the next few days, I will be contacting several people I know and asking for leads from them. Today, I plan on getting some business cards printed -- and then I will be handing them out every chance I get. Though part of me wants to take some time off (I need a vacation -- though the trip to NYC I wanted isn't the best option, now). Next month, I will be participating in National Novel Writing Month, so having the time and financial buffer to do that without working is a nice thing.

Like a cat, I will land on my feet. I am confident about this.

No comments: