Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm Back...

Wow. I hadn't realized my last post was all the way back in November, and just how sporadic my posting was the couple months prior to that.

I can tell you that just prior to losing my primary client, I'd been exceptionally busy with them, and that consumed a great deal of time and energy. Post-losing my primary client, I fell in to a very dark hole. It was very depressing to lose that client, and I've not really worked since then. I did finish a website for one client, and build a small website for a roommate, but that's it.

In essence, I've not worked in over three months.

These three months have been mixed for me -- I thought something in my personal life was going to be something nice, and it was horrible instead. I'm not a fan of Christmas, and combining that with the personal horrible thing and being unemployed made for a lousy December. I had no interest in writing for this blog (though I have thought about this blog often), and I didn't want to write about any of the negative things I was feeling. Now that January is here, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic, though the freelance job market is currently quite grim. (I've decided that I need an agent/sales person to find work for me, since sales and cold calling just is not my forte.)

Now, I'm still looking for work, and am dealing with the prospect of having to take a full time job for a company, or work through an agency. This may not seem like such a big deal to some, but it is a HUGE deal for me. I've been thinking about how to explain this, and that will likely be its own blog post...so stay tuned.

The one good thing I can report, is that financially I'm ok for at least a little while longer. My emergency fund has gotten me far, and my other savings accounts (home, travel, IRA) are helping me through this, too. I'm also happy that a client who I billed on 2 December is finally paying me, and another occasional client will have a few days work for me later this month.

It's odd, because after fighting some insomnia a couple nights ago, I got up and looked at all my bank accounts and added up my available cash. Even after three months of not working, I could still pay off all my remaining credit card and student loan debt (mid-4 figures), and I would still have enough money for about two months. I was very surprised at that. I'm thankful for my current low (very low) living expenses.

So, I'm back. I think. I really have missed blogging, but like I said, I wasn't in a good frame of mind and I didn't want this blog to become a place reflecting the darkness I was feeling.

Oh, and did I mention I wrote a novel in November? I did. Seriously. I also started a writing group with other novelists, and that's been going very well and we're all editing our novels. So things are looking up. ;-)

Now, if I could just find some work!

No comments: