Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lifewise is not so Budget Wise

So, up until last month, I had Lifewise health insurance. It was inexpensive, and it suited my needs.

Last year, I was willing to accept a $30ish/month premium increase.

This year, I am not.

When I signed up for the insurance, it was $129/month. Now, they want ~$185/month. That's beyond my budget (especially considering my current lack of income), so I've let it lapse. I'm not thrilled to be without medical insurance, but I'm not prepared to pay that much for basic medical insurance (I don't have prescriptions, children, or plans for children, and I only go to the doctor when I'm sick with more than a basic cold).

However, I'm also skeptical when an insurance company blames the premium increase on people doing things like having MRIs instead of a basic x-ray, which the letter intimated worked just as well. Hello? I couldn't believe they seriously said that, but they did.

I've heard that there are some other inexpensive, basic plans out there. If you know of them (especially firsthand), please let me know. Last night, a friend told me about a couple places to check out [in the Seattle area], though I don't know of any national programs.

No comments: